Friday, February 15, 2013

Vows of love show similarities

On this day after Valentine's Day, I am struck by the similarities among proclamations of true love expressed yesterday. These are samples of such expressions published in Valentine's ads in the News & Observer:

• "I love you and our incredible life together. Forever and always ..."
• "You have been the rudder that keeps me on course."
• "You are the love of my Life. ..."
• "You're the best thing that ever happened to me."
• "My knight in shining armor ..."
• "You are my heart and the Best ..."
• "To my wife, my best friend, and the one true love of my life ..."
• "I look forward to dancing with you forever."
• "My love. My life. My joy."

 What is one to make of this? Are people so uncreative that they drag up cliches or song lyrics whenever they speak of love? Or is there something magical, transcendental and eternal about romantic love? I vote for the latter.

No comments: