Monday, June 17, 2019

Baby Boomers' musical obsession keeps on changing


This post was published in the Wilson Times June 15, 2019.

Baby Boomers are the musical generation, not because of the quality of their music (some of it is pretty worthless) but because of their capacity to have music all the time everywhere.



It was this generation, my generation, the one that is fading into retirement and funerals, that grew up on American Bandstand, Rock ‘n’ Roll, Elvis, American Top 40, Motown soul, the Beatles and all the melodies that provided the soundtracks of our lives.



We also grew up on a variety of musical devices. We bought the 45 rpm records, the LPs, the stereo albums, the (ill-conceived) 8-track players, the cassette recorders, the Walkman, the ear buds, the boom box, the CD (compact disc). We never had to be without music. FM radio succeeded static-filled AM radio in our cars (the first two cars I owned had only an AM band), vastly expanding the selections of in-car music.



Some brainstorms failed. At one time, you could buy a phonograph for the car. You just had to be willing to live with the record skipping every time the car hit a bump or changed speed. The 8-track and then the cassette player made it possible to play hundreds of your own songs in your car, freeing you from the autocracy of radio stations. Car cassette players gave way to in-car CD players, and we carried around CD wallets full of songs on long trips.



Even this technological freedom was not the final step, the ultimate in portable music that would go everywhere with you. Digital songs, or MP3s, could be stored in computer codes on various devices, once again revolutionizing how people listened to music.



After music file-sharing was declared copyright infringement and some Napster users were criminally charged, Apple created iTunes as a legal alternative and began selling songs for download at 99 cents each. The possibilities seemed endless.



Although I was not an “early adopter” of technology, I jumped at the concept of iTunes when Apple offered the service 18 years ago. I copied my collection of CDs into iTunes on our computer and listened to all the albums I’d ever owned. I made my own playlists or asked iTunes to create “genius” playlists of compatible or similar songs.



The opportunity to own a car with iTunes compatibility prompted my most recent car-buying decisions.



We now have iPods, which Apple invented to make its iTunes the most portabie music source ever invented. The old iPod in my car has more than 1,200 songs, searchable by song, artist, album, playlist or genre. It left the briefly popular, bulky in-trunk multi-CD player far behind. After the iPhone came along in 2008, the phone took the place of most iPods. At home, I’m able to select any tune, any album, any artist, any genre and wirelessly send that selection to the stereo speakers in my living room. Every iPod, computer or tablet on our WiFi can control the music we hear. What more could a music lover want?



But on June 3, Apple announced it was doing away with iTunes, splitting the service into three different software packages. Younger listeners, who don’t remember AM radio static or scratchy vinyl records, had begun streaming music they rent from internet sites



Streaming music — music you don’t own but rent for a fee that allows you to use a song or album for a limited time — has become the dominant music provider. Even Apple, which made digital downloads popular, began offering streaming music and even got into streaming video. Over the years, iTunes had become more and more complicated. With each new software update, I had to figure out how to do what I used to do easily but had become more complex.



The replacement for iTunes is not yet in place, and I’m hopeful that the change won’t be too disruptive. I certainly hope that my access to the thousands of songs in the iTunes on my computer will not be lost or restricted.



Please let the new version of iTunes be the last music platform I’ll have to adapt to. I’ve suffered enough technology whiplash for one lifetime.


-->

No comments: