Wednesday, December 31, 2008

More upheaval at the local newspaper

You didn't read it in the newspaper, but there have been more changes at The Wilson Daily Times. I was told on Monday that Wayne Johnson, sales and marketing director (otherwise known as advertising director), was sent packing. Those who informed me of this unannounced change did not know the circumstances or the reasons for Wayne's departure, whether it was another layoff or something else. I'm told that Wayne's successor has already been hired. It will be interesting to see whether the paper announces this new hire (an experienced and probably expensive N.C. newspaper executive) and, if so, whether the announcement mentions whom she is replacing.
Over the nearly three months since I was laid off along with at least four others, I have repeatedly had to tell people that, no, I have not retired; I did not want to leave gainful employment. I'm convinced that the newspaper encouraged the misconception that I had retired early. The only mention of my departure was in one sentence at the end of a long and rambling "editor's note" without a headline or any real point. Obviously, few people even saw that article or read to the end of it. No mention at all was made of the departure of Adrienne Gaskins-Smith, the city editor, or others who were let go at the same time. Adrienne had spent more than a decade at the newspaper in increasingly responsible positions. Four days from today would have marked my 29th anniversary at the paper.
Certainly, I had expected my departure from half a lifetime's work in a very public position to be more noted, if not celebrated. To be found expendable after so long a period of loyalty and dedication is demoralizing, but I realize that I am not the only person in this situation as America endures its economic nausea. I've been gratified by the many people, some of them strangers, who have expressed their disappointment and even anger at my departure from the newspaper. But what's done is done. I'm moving on.
Although I have almost no information about or insight into the machinations at the Daily Times — excuse me, the Wilson Times — I would not be surprised if readers saw more upheaval. The paper gets thinner and thinner as advertisers abandon ship. Vacant news positions (including my old one) are not being filled, and writing or editing errors provide daily chuckles or shrieks.
And even more than the uncertainties of being unemployed with few prospects in sight, the demise of good journalism in my adopted hometown, to whose betterment and illumination I had dedicated my career, depresses me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear. I've been a faithful reader of your blog and just had to comment that I wholeheartedly agree. The Wilson Times needs to be upfront with its readers. It is so often that I hear from others that the newspaper is not providing as it has. I'm sure that with as many educated citizens who live in Wilson, they are no doubt catching errors that have seemed to multiply over the last few years and the commentaries that are so 'light' in nature. Your blog is truly reflective of what many in the community are saying.

Anonymous said...

the wilson times is not the only newspaper in demise. We read about
others going downhill daily. It is sad several who have a long career there are being affected in this downspiral technological revolution. Surely the affected's departures could/should have been handled differently but how does an employer celebrate ones release.
Catch-22 I'd say. The bottom line of capitalism is dollars and cents and it has touched us all here in Wilson in some fashion. We just pull up our bootstraps like those before us had to do and live like no other, so in the future, we can live like no other-quote by Dave Ramsey-this dude should be teaching our kids in elementary and middle schools.

Many small and independent "local" business owners are going through the same thing. With the entry of the big boxes to the Wilson economy our local entrepreneurs are slowly having to re-adjust to a different demand from clients. Service is at an all time low for the consumer. You will find pockets of great service at the few remaining "local" vendors who are striving to survive but with the economic challenges those big boxes are winning on price alone. Sad. Our local newspaper is no exception even though the past few years they have been the beneficiary of the big box inserts but have had to succumb to the low prices the bb bring w/ them.

2009 will bring many challenges but we do live in the USA. Stay focused on the task at hand.

Anonymous said...

....one more thing. All the papers are getting thinner and lack good reading material and info.

My N&O has not been renewed because the paper is getting thinner and thinner and lacking informative content. I will get my n&o from the box, which has been moved further and further from downtown-another slap in the readers face, when I get bored.

I suggest to get a scanner, get a pistol(take the classes necessary for self-protection) and a laptop and be prepared for what our future might bring.

Anonymous said...

Catharsis is a good thing.

I'm just surprised they didn't give your job away to one of the "never get out of bed for less than $50,000 per year" cronies in this City.

Anonymous said...

Yours and Keith Barnes' articles were the only journalistic endeavors of local interest worth reading. I still check your online material and scan for Keith's in the Wilson 'Whatever' Times. Other than that, it mainly has become a crime report sheet. The only consolation is the Rocky Mount paper is much worse. Hang in there. Hopefully the end of 2009 will find you professionally challenged with full time pay and Keith still plugging away with his local insight.

Anonymous said...

There is some dead wood at the "wilson daily crimes" who spend every chance that they get "playing" on their computers that needs to get trimmed. I don't even work there and I have seen it. It is a shame that some people today think that they are owed a living.

The "times" should have kept you and layed off the ones who are not earning their "keep".

CC said...

Yes, I'm looking forward to the January 12 announcement of the new Advertising Director. Hopefully the former A.D. will be mentioned and maybe a picture - so well deserving. Thought when he got rid of the WEAKEST LINK things would look up - but the December 29th, 2008 announcement suggested otherwise.

My letter stated that my 36 years of service were appreciated - March 19, 1971 - September 19, 2008 - my calculation - 37-1/2 years to the day. And should I mention - CONSECUTIVE YEARS- as compared to W.J. leaving and being hired again at least 2 times.

Am I bitter? Am I hurt?
Life goes on.

CC
Former Wilson Daily Times
Employee