Monday, July 27, 2009

Farmers market conjures delicious memories

My wife and I came home from the Wilson County farmers market Saturday morning with tomatoes, peas, peaches, blueberries and one more thing — okra. We would share the tomatoes, peas, peaches and blueberries. The okra was for me alone. She doesn't like okra. Never did. Never will. Whenever the matter is raised, she uses the S-word to describe it — slimy.
I, on the other hand, grew up in a household where okra was on the table several times a week and where a row or two of okra spread their broad, notched leaves and upright, fuzz-covered pods in our garden each year. My mother would hand me a bucket and a kitchen knife when I came home from school and tell me to cut her a mess of okra for dinner. She would clean the seed pods and slice them into half-inch cylinders, which were dipped into flour and fried in an iron skillet coated with bacon grease. Fried okra is a delicacy, crispy on the outside and soft and moist inside — not slimy. Mother's fried okra was battered with flour, not the corn meal I find at the few restaurants serving fried okra. I think the flour presents more of the okra's flavor.
In my mother's kitchen, okra could also be used for flavoring vegetables. Three or four pods of okra cook in a four-quart pot full of Crowder peas gave the peas a fresh, spicy flavor more vibrant than the usual fatback or ham seasoning. Okra was an integral ingredient in my mother's incomparable vegetable soup, a soup that, defying conventional culinary theories, contained no meat stock, consisted entirely of tomatoes, white corn, butterbeans, okra and a flour-based thickening. It was so good, I used to eat leftovers cold and congealed right out of the refrigerator. I have tried to duplicate that soup, but I cannot match its flavor.
Saturday afternoon, I shelled the peas we had bought, and on Sunday I cleaned and sliced the okra, rolled the slices in all-purpose flower and fried it in a small skillet. The result was a dinner that, while not perfect, was delicious, and not at all slimy.
On Sunday afternoon, with the temperature above 90, my wife and I decided to avoid the heat and lie down and read in our bedroom. Each of us, side by side, absorbed in a novel, lost track of the time until we realized the afternoon was gone and the shadows had stretched across the back yard. The afternoon was a reward for having caught up on household and gardening chores, and it obeyed that commandment about a day of rest. If there is a better, more relaxing or more economical way to spend a hot summer afternoon, or a cold winter winter Sunday or a rainy afternoon any time of the year than lying in bed with a book and a companion with her own book, I haven't found it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I weren't full from a recent dinner of too much Italian food, this post would have made me ravenous. It sounds like your mother was my kind of cook. The sort of cook you don't find very often in today's society. Tell your wife to try okra with tomatoes. When it's cooked right, it's not slimy.