Monday, February 8, 2010

Unemployment has psychological impact

The Sunday headline reads: "Long-time jobless fight rejection, fear, despair." Tell me about it.

Even four months into a new job, I still feel the impact of a year without a job. Early on, I had confided that I considered changes in a job to which I had devoted almost half my life to be a test of character, and I swore that I would not be bitter. But that's easier said than done, especially as the weeks dragged into months and all of the job applications and hopeful contacts turned up nothing. And for the jobless of a certain age (say, 50 or older), discrimination is tangible but unprovable.

There were times when I felt grateful for the many words of commiseration and encouragement I received, but there were also times of deep despair when my frustration got the better of me. There were days when my mood ranged from homicidal to suicidal, but, fortunately, those days were few and never led to any rash action.

But the point of Sunday's story is well taken: Unemployment is more than a financial predicament; it's a mental health issue. Despair is a cloak that is easy to slip into. Frustration comes often. Discouragement is always lurking at the door. Self-esteem sinks like a lead weight. Confidence crumbles. Only the support of family and friends allowed me to bear the disappointment and disillusionment. Others have a harder time than I. In a nation that has lost 7 million jobs, many have been out of work longer than the year I endured. Jobs will come back slowly, but self-esteem and self-confidence will be even slower to recover. It's not just the money.

1 comment:

surfsalterpath said...

I am glad you have a job.