Monday, July 19, 2010

My tie wardrobe hangs forgotten behind door

One of the ties on my tie rack behind the closet door fell to the floor recently, and I wasn't sure it was worth the effort to pick it up. For nearly 40 years, I wore a tie to work almost every day, but I've now succumbed to the more casual work wardrobe — a sport shirt with casual slacks. Even the winter sport coat has given way to the casual jacket or zip-up fleece.

Through five employers over four decades, I wore a tie from my enlarging collection every day. In summer heat, I might leave the suit coat or sport coat behind, but I always wore a tie. I didn't feel dressed for work without one. Even when the casual trend infected my recent employer, turning Casual Fridays into Casual Everydays, I continued to wear a tie because it seemed to go with the job. But even bankers, once the paragon of business fashion with their dark suits, white shirts and neat ties, began to adopt a more casual style. Some opined that the more casual attire made customers more comfortable, but I was never convinced of that explanation. It seemed to me, if I was going to entrust my money to someone, I'd prefer someone who looked like he was headed to Wall Street, not to the ninth fairway.

Nevertheless, casual attire took over almost every aspect of life. What used to be called "Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes" disappeared even from church pews. Some ministers abandoned formal robes or suit-and-tie for the casual look as they exhorted from the pulpit. Fine restaurants that had once required jacket and tie before admitting any male customer changed their policy to "no shirt, no shoes, no service," ending the entire concept of elegant dining.

My collection of ties still hangs in my closet, but I save a few minutes each day by not having to decide which tie to wear and then tie it. And I'm comfortable now in my sport shirts, especially in this summer heat. I even dress casually for church in summer. But there are times when I feel under-dressed as I try to make a good impression on some important person while dressed as if I'm headed for the beach. At least I'm not wearing flip-flops to work.

No comments: