Monday, April 25, 2011

Six-word memoirs can say a lot

I heard an NPR story recently about the fad of "Six-Word Memoirs," which has attracted interest from some celebrities as well as ordinary folks. The concept reputedly comes from Ernest Hemingway's boast that he could write a novel in only six words. Hemingway's six-word novel: "For sale: baby shoes. Never worn." The memoirs or epigrams have been compared to epitaphs, as some of them sum up a lifetime, such as "Three wives. Three children. Happy life" or "Got a bachelor's. Still making $8.75."

As I listened to the NPR report while driving home, I began writing six-word memoirs in my mind. I came up with a few:

"Met girl. Found wife. Got Nana."

"Three children. Six grandchildren. My legacy."

"Grow old along with me. Done."

"Writer, editor 33 years. Laid off."

"Forty years together. Better and better."

"Mother died. Daddy followed. I'm orphaned."

"Life is better than I deserve."

"Having family all together. Joyous happiness."

Try it yourself. Might like it.

No comments: