Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I voted in the primary runoff

I have joined the 1 percent — not the 1 percent whose income is higher than the other 99 percent but the 1 percent (or maybe 3 percent, give or take) who voted in Tuesday's runoff primary. I was one of the very few North Carolinians who wore an "I Voted" sticker all day.

I had no strong feelings about the runoff races. For me, there was only one contest on the ballot — for the Democratic nomination for commissioner of labor, a Council of State office that I have frequently argued should be appointed by the governor, not elected by voters who know little or nothing about the candidates. (The federal government does all right by having the president appoint the secretary of state, secretary of labor, secretary of education, etc.)

Still, I voted. I did so because it is a right and a privilege. I voted because I always vote. I try to never miss an opportunity to vote. In more than 40 years of voting, I've never voted a "straight ticket" ballot. I always assumed there were good men and women on both sides of the ballot, and I tried to pick those good people, regardless of party affiliation.

I voted without having to show an ID, but had I been required to show a picture ID, I would have gladly complied. After all, I show an ID when asked to cash a check, use a charge card or register at a hotel. Voting is as important as any of those actions. I recognize that some people might not have picture IDs, but that barrier can be overcome. Besides, anyone who is so disconnected from society as to not have an ID or to not know they need to get one in order to vote probably is not connected enough to make an informed decision about voting.

I voted. I'm one of the 1 percent or 3 percent or whatever it is.

No comments: