Sunday, May 26, 2019

Let me set the record straight

When my May 4 column about the murder of two students in a classroom at UNC-Charlotte was published in the Wilson Times, a reader commented on the Times' website by saying I obviously was not a veteran and knew nothing about the military.

It was irrelevant to the column, but I am a veteran, having proudly served in the U.S. Coast Guard for more than three years of active duty. Those years were among the most important in my life, giving me the honor of serving with some extraordinary individuals and learning far more about life, leadership and obligations than I had ever imagined.

I am proud of my service, but apparently what irked the commentator was that I objected to the recent trend of calling everyone who ever served in uniform a "hero." Wearing a uniform does not make you a hero. Serving your country, answering your nation's call does not make you a hero. It makes you an obedient, forthright citizen willing to sacrifice time and opportunities to serve the nation.

The real heroes are the ones with a Bronze Star, a Silver Star, a Purple Heart, a Distinguished Flying Cross, or other decorations signifying bravery beyond the call of duty.

I'm no hero, but I am a veteran, and I'm proud of my service. Just so you know.

No comments: