Friday, November 14, 2008

Two years of my writing is lost in cyberspace

It appears that my former employer has taken down my old blog from Google's Blogger site. I had included a link to the old blog in my Erstwhile Editor profile, but I will correct that now. My former employer had already removed the link between the Wilson Times Web site and my old blog but had not erased the blog itself, which could still be accessed through its blogspot address. But no more. When I checked on the old blog Thursday, I found it was no longer there.
I find myself powerless to do anything about this, of course. I do wonder what benefit there could have been in eliminating my old blog, which had about two years of posts on all manner of subjects. I blogged, as my employer had directed me to do, nearly every single day. I had occasionally referred back to an old blog or reread one on a particular topic. Now that's no longer possible. That writing no longer exists.
I can't say I'm surprised to have that link broken. I just wonder why anyone felt it necessary to get rid of what I had written day after day for two years.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://wilsonsdowningstreet.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html


I still can access the 2008 blogs. Are these diff from what you are talking about?

Erstwhile Editor said...

Wow! Suddenly, it's back. Before writing this post, I had checked the http://wilsonsdowningstreet.blogspot.com site repeatedly over several days. Each time it took me to a Blogger error screen. Whatever the problem was, it seems to have been fixed. My old writing is back! I hope someone cares ... I'll monitor this for a few days and if it stays available, I'll place the link back on my profile. Thanks for letting me know.

Anonymous said...

.....now this link is for only 1 year. You say you had 2 years worht of blog writing? Is part still missing?

Enjoy going back and reading your current perspective from the future.

Erstwhile Editor said...

I had written that blog for more than two years (probably at least three), but it was not on Blogger all that time. It would take me some time to figure out exactly when the transition was made from the old, in-house blog (essentially a news article written on the WDT system and posted on its Web site) to Blogger. Without a more laborious examination, I would have to conclude that what you see at http://wilsonsdowningstreet.blogspot.com is all that I had written under the Blogger system. Earlier blogs are available in the wilsontimes.com archives, but only through subject searches.

Anonymous said...

....thanks