Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Banner on the mall says it all: We have overcome

A banner held up at Tuesday's inauguration of President Barack Obama caught my eye as the television camera panned across the mall. It said: "We Have Overcome."
What greater proof could be asked for to show that the refrain of that civil rights anthem had at last been achieved? A black man had been inaugurated president of the United States, bolstered by the votes of, yes, the vast majority of African-American voters but also by a clear majority of white voters. As police and state troopers turned fire hoses, police dogs and clubs on protesters in the early 1960s, the demonstrators responded by singing "We shall overcome ... someday." For the martyrs of the civil rights demonstrations and their heirs — and indeed for all Americans — "someday" came on Jan. 20, 2009. The promise, the hope, the dream has been fulfilled in a time far earlier than most veterans of that era could have imagined. Barack Obama will not wipe out all vestiges of racism, ill will and unfairness ("Life is unfair" was one of President Kennedy's favorite sayings), but his achievement proves that legal segregation and societal prejudices cannot hold back a determined, persistent and talented leader.
That banner on the mall showed how far we have come, appropriately taking racial equality out of the future tense and into the present.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we have overcome?

...this country is in a downward spiral. If we have overcome now I am goonna hate to see where we are in 4 years.

You discuss how you walked thru the snow to get the paper out. Yep, I was there w/ ya on the end part of that game. If I could not ride my bike I was walking delivering my responsibilities.


Today? The accepted norm is to say 'no can do'. Did I receive my tues wdt......nope. Went out for my news fix and yea a paper is in the viewfinder of the n&o machine. Pop my $.50 in for a miniscule paper compared to the past and grab it and go. Riding down the road I glance and voila it is tuesday am's edition. I guess that outsourcing of the delivery for the n&o allowed the n&o to accept less service to their loyal readers. Another stake in their coffin.

We have overcome. Maybe, but the cost of that has been to a society that just does not care anymore on personal responsibility nor service.