Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snowfall brings a rare treat


Wilson got its first real snow in more than four years today, a quiet, soothing powder falling from the heavens. It made for a good day to stay inside, watch the inauguration and watch the snow fall silently outside.
I took our "snow dog" outside and watched her leap through the snow, which I measured at 5.75 inches in an undisturbed area of my back yard. Little Bear enjoyed her romp at first, but she quickly decided the cold and the ice forming on her thick black fur was not for her.
Late in the afternoon, I ventured outside for a treat that is among the fondest memories of my childhood — snow cream. Today's snow was ideal for the simple concoction, which consists of new-fallen snow, milk, sugar and vanilla flavoring. I've never known what are the "proper" amounts of each ingredient. My mother always magically found just the right proportions, and the recipe I whipped up today was decently edible and reminiscent of the treat I devoured each time my childhood home got a decent snowfall.

No comments: