Friday, September 18, 2009

Inefficient system frustrates job-seekers

I'm overwhelmingly grateful for the unemployment insurance system, which has sustained me and paid my mortgage through nine months of unemployment (following three months of idleness covered by severance pay). I really am. But I'm finding the unemployment system increasingly frustrating and inefficient.
The N.C. Employment Security Commission provides a useful and helpful Web site that allows clients to register for unemployment, file weekly certifications, search for jobs and check on the status of their claims. I use it just about every day. I especially use the Job Bank listing of available jobs, and that's where the frustrations and inefficiencies crop up.
The Job Bank listings include a job description, but it has a limited number of words or characters, so the job descriptions are often incomplete, making it difficult to know whether the job is a good fit. Clients can select the jobs they're interested in and receive a message that they will be contacted with job application information. (In nearly all cases, the name of the company or agency doing the hiring is not included on the Web site, so you have to go through the process to make an application.) A few hours after selecting the jobs, the client will receive an automated phone call from the state saying that "someone at this address" has requested job information from the ESC. The recording then tells the listener to call the local ESC office.
Twice in the past week I've followed up with a call to the ESC office and ended up in someone's voice mail. I left my name and number and requested a return call so that I could apply for the jobs I was interested in. I got no response from either message I left. I even sent an e-mail to the state ESC suggesting that it would work better if ESC would just send me an e-mail with the job information I needed. I received an e-mail reply saying that wasn't possible. Not knowing who the employer is, I can't apply for those jobs. Meanwhile, all ESC clients are required to apply for at least two jobs each week, so I've had to hunt for jobs in other listings, jobs that might not be as suitable or attractive as those in the ESC listing.
But I'm grateful for unemployment insurance. Without it, I would have depleted most of my savings by now. I just wish the job listing service could be more efficient.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gubmnt at work. And there are those out there who want them, the gubmnt, to take over our health care. God help us all.

Anonymous said...

People complain about Government's intrusion yet they'll gladly take their Unemployment Insurance check and Social Security. If they dont want to be a part of a government program (yes I know how the money is collected), why dont they opt out?

It isn't like employers all got together one day and decided the country needed a National Insurance Program to help unemployed workers. Btw, you get half your salary to scrimp by on and then you have to pay taxes on it! Thanks to Ronald Reagan.... for nothing.

Based on historical information, if the Republicans had their way, you would be disqualified from collecting "benefits" by now.

-Drew said...

Thanks for the insight. I too will be using the ESC system soon. Hope you're well.

Anonymous said...

anony#2 said
"If they dont want to be a part of a government program (yes I know how the money is collected), why dont they opt out?"

you know how une ins is collected?
Tell me How?

You cannot 'opt out' paying une insurance. The employer pays.

Anonymous said...

Simple. You refuse to file a claim. Therefore you are refusing government intervention. It's a government program. Just like the Health Insurance reform proposed.

Ditto with Social Security. If you don't want the government involved in your life. Don't accept the money.

Or shut up about government's so-called intrusion. You can't have it both ways.

Anonymous said...

Well said, anony #4!

Anonymous said...

anony#%.

That is brillant. Gubmnt intrusion begins at the forced collection of SS in your paycheck and the forced collection of une insurance. i knew you had no idea what you were talking about except liberal pollywog.....figures.