Thursday, April 18, 2019

Modern cardiology techniques are truly miraculous


This post was published in the Wilson Times April 17.
        The pinhead-size dot on my right wrist is hardly noticeable, but it bookmarks a miracle.



            That dot marks the spot where cardiologists inserted a catheter into the artery just below the skin, then maneuvered that catheter up my arm to my shoulder then into my chest, where it reached the coronary arteries of my heart. That nearly unimaginable journey up my arm and into my heart was just the beginning. My doctor deployed a tiny laser from the catheter and used its concentrated light to obliterate the plaque that had constricted a coronary artery by more than 90 percent.



            He was not done with these incredible advances in cardiology. He then deployed from the catheter two stents that were expanded to prop arteries open in two places. One of the stents, which are expandable mesh cylinders, measured 3 mm by 28 mm. The second stent was 3 mm by 24 mm. Three millimeters is about the thickness of a penny and a dime sandwiched together.



            When I awoke from the sedation, the intense, skilled and fast-paced cardiology team at N.C. Heart and Vascular Hospital was wrapping up the procedure. Just another day in the heart procedures suite. They were telling me that I had done well (just by lying there!) and that the procedure was a complete success. “When is the next 5K?” I asked, part joke, part bravado. “I think there’s one next weekend,” someone replied, calling my bluff. I had arrived at 7 a.m. to check in, was out of the procedure suite and back in my room in time for lunch and was allowed to go home at mid-afternoon.



            For a good 30 years, I had been avoiding that day. I had attempted to beat what medical people call “family history.” In the long list of factors that contribute to heart disease (smoking, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, diabetes, etc.), the one factor you can’t do anything about is family history. You can’t change your family; you can’t change your genes. Some of us have great families, but they carry bad heart genes. In my case, my two older brothers had heart problems. One had quadruple bypass before age 55. The other died following surgery to repair a valve and bypass some clogged arteries. My father was never diagnosed with heart disease, but his death certificate (at age 88) gave the cause of death as “congestive heart failure.” His father, who lived to age 78, died of a heart attack in 1955 without ever being diagnosed with heart disease.



            This history encouraged me to do whatever I could to avoid heart disease. I watched my weight; I followed a very active lifestyle; I made it a point to always use the stairs, not an elevator; I tried to avoid stressful situations; and I tried to limit artery-clogging foods in my diet. I had rarely eaten red meat in the past 20 years.



            Nevertheless, I found myself getting slower and slower in my running times. More recently, I was getting exhausted and out-of-breath after running only two blocks. After exercise that I used to breeze through, I became near collapse and had a burning sensation in my chest. The burning, I convinced myself, indicated a digestive problem — heartburn — not heart disease.



            In February, my wife and I attended two Heart Month programs that gave me additional warnings about heart disease factors and symptoms. On a list of heart attack symptoms passed out at one of those events, I saw “burning in the chest.”



Uh-oh! I talked to my regular doctor, and he referred me to a cardiologist. It took a second referral to find one who was in my insurance network. A few weeks later, I was on a surgical table in Raleigh.



            I have to thank Dr. Jobe and his team at North Carolina Heart and Vascular Hospital, and my wife and two daughters (my son kept in touch from a business commitment he couldn’t skip) who sat through the long wait while my heart was being repaired. Thanks to all who prayed for my healthy recovery. I got the miracle, even if it was different from the one you might have envisioned.



            In addition to being amazed at what modern medical science can do, I have learned a few things from this experience. Even if you don’t have symptoms of heart problems, do everything you can to reduce your risk, and if you are at risk, ask your doctor to help you beat the odds. I can recommend a book: “Prevent, Halt & Reverse Heart Disease” by Joe Piscatella. He spoke at the Vidant’s Heart Month lunch in Wilson. He was a captivating speaker.



            If you can, get some healthier parents, grandparents and siblings.

Hal Tarleton was an editor of The Wilson Daily Times for 29 years. Contact him at haltarleton@myglnc.com.

-->

No comments: