Sunday, March 15, 2009

Don't let rain dampen the weekend


When I was in college, I had an LP called "Stormy Weekend" by the Mystic Moods Orchestra. I still have the album, although I haven't played it in years and probably would have to do some repair to my old Gerard turntable if I did want to play it. The album consisted of the sounds of rain and thunder played against a background of orchestral music. The album could put you in a mood for snuggling under a warm quilt.
I thought about that album today as I drove down Interstate 95, headed home from a weekend getaway. The rain had fallen incessantly most of the weekend, but it didn't dampen our mood. My wife and I were cashing in a Christmas gift from our children: A gift card good for one weekend at a destination of our choice (within reason and driving distance). We chose Williamsburg, Va., where we have spent more than a dozen weekends and of which we never tire.
A special discount rate this month made our gift even more valuable, so we made reservations and hopefully watched the weather. Despite the forecast for incessant rain, we headed off and hoped for the best. The rain dampened some of our activities, but we found plenty to do indoors. We've been to Williamsburg so many times that you would think there could be nothing new, but each trip delights us with some new tidbit or insight. Interpreters at the George Wythe House and the Capitol this time were especially good and delightful. We spent additional time in the museums. The food and the atmosphere at the Colonial Williamsburg tavern always make the trip worthwhile, regardless of the weather.
My wife fondly remembers the trip she took with her parents and siblings to Williamsburg while she was still in high school. It rained, she says, every minute they were there. Nevertheless, they had a glorious time soaking up the atmosphere of Colonial America. This weekend was just as wet, and just as enjoyable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

.....now i have to get out and stimulate the economy! I had never heard of this group nor album before.


http://www.amazon.com/STORMY-NIGHT-MYSTIC-MOODS-ORCHESTRA/dp/B0002KQO7G

....and this album has pretty good rankings per the amazon reviews