Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It's a long drive to a dead end

I drove to Raleigh last week to interview for a job with the state. I thought it went pretty well. I had the experience required to do the job. I answered all the questions and provided writing samples. Today, it looks like I won't be asked back for a second interview. The agency was going to wrap up initial interviews Monday morning and make a decision on finalists immediately after that. Looks like I didn't make the cut.
When I told my wife that, she said she wasn't sorry. She wants me to get a job, but not one that involves two hours of commuting each day. I wasn't looking forward to the commuting, either, but I was willing to do it in order to get a job, especially a fairly stable and lucrative one with the state.
So today I am back to Square One: No job prospects on the horizon and an increasing sense of frustration and futility. There is little comfort in the knowledge that I am not alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am watching a lot of friends struggle and try to find employment. It is really disheartening!

A commute to Raleigh wouldn't be that bad. It's all highway, you could listen to books on CD or catch up on NPR. Raleigh has excellent places for lunch.

Anonymous said...

Keep the faith, my friend. Sometimes our desires just don't match God's plan for us. Maybe God needs you more helping to build handicap ramps and doing other community service projects right now. Or maybe the perfect job is just around the corner. "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
You are a blessing to someone every day. Continue to search and have faith that God is using you right now and has a plan for your future, too.

Anonymous said...

A blessing doesn't pay the bills.