Monday, April 5, 2010

April turns up the heat

Yes, I was tired of winter and eager for spring, but I never asked for 90-degree weather in April! That's what the forecasters are predicting for Tuesday in eastern North Carolina. The sudden heat wave (I don't think I've ever turned on the air conditioning in April) is compounded by that fine powdering of yellow tree pollen that has turned everything around me into a caution light.

The birds are singing, the flowers are blooming, and the grass is growing. Surely, summer has set in for a long visit. But I suspect we'll see a cold snap or two before June arrives. A frigid bluster greeted a family beach trip last May, forcing us all to bundle up in sweatshirts and heavy coats. By the end of the week, though, I was riding waves, and the sun was warm enough for extended tanning. If the weather were the same every day, weather forecasters wouldn't have much to do (see Steve Martin's hilarious "L.A. Story"). So we check the forecasts and hope for a weekend with weather much like yesterday, when someone drove past my house in a classic MG TC roadster. I wouldn't argue for a few degrees warmer, but I'd love to see that MG again.

No comments: